10 Things Our BAS Can Control in Your Facility
Building Automation Systems (BAS) are becoming essential to efficiently run and maintain a facility. The technological revolution in facility management, driven by IoT, is leaving traditional management practices in the dust. It is now widely accepted among facility managers that BAS is both beneficial and necessary for the effective and efficient running of modern facilities (necessary and beneficial linked to last post).
However, many facility managers do not know or understand the totality of capacities that our BAS offers.
At Sodexo | Roth, we can customize a BAS to fit your facility’s specific needs. Our world-class BAS capacities allow a facility manager to keep their thumb on virtually any and every aspect of a building’s operation.
To give a glimpse into Sodexo | Roth’s capabilities, here are 10 different areas of your facility that can be controlled, sensed, and monitored with our BAS.
1. Temperature – Studies show that 50% of energy used in buildings is wasted because of inefficient building management systems. Much of that waste comes when an HVAC unit is straining to heat or cool unoccupied rooms. Large buildings with complicated airflow systems make the job of manually adjusting the necessary array of thermostats, valves, dampers, and other apparatus nearly impossible. Sodexo | Roth’s BAS helps automate this process, giving a facility manager complete temperature control. Our BAS can set timers to lower the HVAC temperature set point after hours, or decrease A/C in unoccupied rooms. Our BAS essentially eliminates temperature waste throughout the entire facility.
2. Humidity – Humidity can cause significant damage to a facility if not correctly monitored. Mold and corrosion can rapidly accelerate the dilapidation of a facility. In addition, humidity can compromise employee or customer comfort and health. With the horrors of asbestos coming to fruition over the past decade, it is more important than ever to control the moisture in the air of your facility. Our BAS allows a facility manager to control the humidity level down to the percentage point, effectively eliminating the risk of mold formation and equipment corrosion.
3. Ventilation – Proper ventilation prevents air pollutants from affecting the health of your employees or customers. Our BAS can ensure a facility manager has complete control of the airflow of the building. Most air handlers mix return and outside air so less conditioning is required. Our BAS ventilation controls can adjust the amount of outside air based on measured levels of occupancy in a particular room.
4. Indoor Air Quality – It is crucial that facility operators know their indoor air quality (IAQ) status and metrics in real time. This is because there is so much at stake. The potential health impact of a poor IAQ can be deadly, both for a company and it’s employees. Monitoring metrics such as carbon monoxide and ozone levels are essential to the safety, and ultimately the wallet, of a facility manager.
5. Energy Consumption – In 2015, the U.S. Department of Energy found that buildings in the U.S. account for approximately 76% of all electricity use and 40% of all primary energy use. This is where Sodexo | Roth’s BAS comes in. Building Automation Systems are often referred to as Energy Management Systems (EMS), and for good reason. A Sodexo | Roth BAS can reduce energy consumption by up to 30% in a multitude of different ways. For example, through occupancy sensors, our technology can turn on equipment in occupied rooms only, leaving unoccupied rooms with their equipment off, saving on energy costs.
6. Equipment Operation – Our BAS can provide information and specific metrics on equipment performance, giving a facility manager the ability to easily control and schedule equipment. We can also track equipment operating histories, system trends, error logs and maintenance costs. This feature is extremely flexible and customizable to the needs of your specific facility and equipment.
7. Lighting – Controlling and monitoring lighting as one of the easiest ways to save on energy costs. According to American Electrical Power, implementing lighting controls can reduce a facility’s lighting energy usage by 20-90%. This can be done through automatic light sensors, daylight harvesting and other lighting controls.
8. Life Safety Systems – Safety is almost certainly at the top of your company’s priority list. Sodexo | Roth’s BAS will help you identify, plan, and manage the operational risks that come with your facility. Our safety service system capacities include protection analysis, quantitative risk assessment, functional safety management planning (FSMP) and much more. Achieving safe and reliable operations is attainable with our BAS.
9. Security Systems – Preserving the safety and security of your company’s most valuable asset is imperative. Our BAS can give you access to video monitoring, intrusion detection and alarms, visitor management, and building management operations, all from a simplified user interface. This allows your team to operate with maximum efficiency at lower operating and maintenance costs.
10. Systems Integration – Our BAS can combine sensors, controls, and inputs to create a network of electronic devices that are all available on one control interface. From HVAC to lighting to security, all of the data, archives, control points, scheduling and more can be accessed in one place. This integration allows a facility manager to control all of the various systems in a building.
The capacities of Sodexo | Roth’s BAS are virtually endless. Partnering with Schneider Electric, we can customize and bundle as many or as few of these capacities as a facility manager wants in their BAS.
Give us a call at 1-833-860-3276, or visit www.sodexoroth.com/building-automation-systems/ for more information.